If you don’t know the Villa-Lobos etudes then I suggest you become familiar with them right away. They are possibly the most significant etudes of the twentieth century due to their technical challenge, wealth of musical ideas, and pedagogical value.
They are, however, quite difficult. At the same time, the point of an etude is not always purely technical and that’s where Villa-Lobos really shines: the etudes are impressive concert works because they are good music; this can’t always be said of, for example, the Carcassi etudes.
- Complete Etudes No. 1-12 (Leonora Spangenberger -Youth)
- Etude No. 1 (Werner/Redžić et al)
- Etude No. 2 (Liying Zhu)
- Etude No. 4 + 12 (Jérémy Peret)
- Etude No. 1 – Ana Vidovic
- Etude No. 2 – Bruno Giuffredi
- Etude No. 3 – Jorge Caballero
- Etude No. 4 – Jorge Caballero
- Etude No. 5 – Giulio Tamplini
- Etude No. 6 – Bruno Giuffredi
- Etude No.7 – Xuefei Yang
- Etude No. 8 – Jorge Caballero
- Etude No. 9 – Giulio Tampalini
- Etude No. 10 – Jorge Caballero
- Etude No. 11 – Julian Bream
- Etude No. 12 – Jorge Caballero
- Classic edition (Max Eschig): Heitor Villa-Lobos Collected Works
- I highly recommend: Villa-Lobos – 12 Etudes – Frédéric Zigante
If you search google you can likely find the drafts in Villa-Lobos’ hand. Try scribd.com too as I’ve seen it on there. I won’t post it here since it’s questionable on the legality side. However, there are some mysterious differences. For example, in Etude 10 of the Eschig edition there appears to be a page missing (after that weird glissando that goes nowhere!). However, you can also waste a ton of time questioning the editions out there when you should probably stick with what has been accepted as ‘the edition’. Depends on how frisky your feeling!
There are tons of great recordings. I can’t recommend them all, sorry. Here’s one possible suggestion by the excellent Brazilian (bonus points) Fabio Zanon. I grew up on the Bream recordings which are great for ideas but this recording by Zanon is much closer to what I feel the etudes can be.
- Fabio Zanon: Villa-Lobos: The Complete Solo Guitar Music
Other posts from Favorite Etudes Week
- Gerald Garcia – Etudes Esquisses
- Angelo Gilardino: Studi di virtuosità e di trascendenza
- Matteo Carcassi’s Op. 60 Etudes
Hope you’ve been enjoying our theme weeks. Leave a comment letting us know about etudes you enjoy or suggestions for new themes!
More from This is Classical GuitarFree Sheet Music Page | Lesson Archive Page | Weekly Email Newsletter