Cello Suite No. 1, BWV 1007, originally in G Major
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
I’m offering three things here: the Prelude for 1007 (free notes or TAB), and two non-editorial editions so players can compare their scores to the originals. This iconic work is great for performance and also a favorite for gigs and weddings, in particular, the signing. Please consider donating to the site to help produce more free sheet music.
Prelude for Cello Suite No. 1, BWV 1007
Edited for guitar by Bradford Werner
The prelude only in D Major. Free edition or purchase the TAB.
- Prelude for Cello Suite No. 1, BWV 1007 [Free PDF]
Buy the TAB version here. $3.99
Non-editorial score with no fingerings or additions.
Presented in treble clef and transposed to alternate keys. Useful as a reference, comparison score, a basis for your own arrangement, or a simple clean score for performance. However, I would recommend you look at an editorial edition or consult your teacher if you are not comfortable making informed decisions about Bach on the guitar. I don’t consider this an “edition” at all, just a transposed facsimile.
- Non-Editorial Version: Bach Cello Suite No. 1, D Major [Free PDF]
- Non-Editorial Version: Bach Cello Suite No. 1, C Major [Free PDF]
These seem to be the most workable keys but leave a comment below if you want it in a different key and we’ll see.
Modern Editions with fingers and editorial arranging (Amazon Links):
- Bach: Cello Suite 1, BWV 1007 (Michael Lorimer)
- BACH Suite No. 1, BWV 1007: (John Duarte)
- Bach: Six Cello Suites Arranged for Guitar (Stanley Yates)
- Essential Bach: Arranged for the Guitar (Lily Afshar)
- Cello Suite BWV 1007, Clear Note Publications (Jeffrey McFadden)
- Unverified: I hear that Frank Koonce has an edition coming. Rumour mill?
Cello Score References for errors and bowings/slurs:
For bowings and other reference please see the following editions. Students are highly encouraged to look at bowing for clues as to how they contribution to interpretation, articulation, and motivic and compositional devices used by Bach.
Cello Suites: Bach-Gesellschaft PDF
Bach-Gesellschaft Ausgabe, Band 27.1 (pp.59-94)
Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel, 1879. Plate B.W. XXVII (1).
Editor: Alfred Dörffel (1821-1905)
Cello Suites: Anna Magdalena Bach Copy PDF
D B Mus. ms. Bach P 269
Cello Suites: Johann Peter Kellner Copy PDF
Kassel: Bärenreiter, No.5215/5216, 2000.
More versions/editions can be found at: