Welcome to This is Classical Guitar
I originally created this website for my students at the Victoria Conservatory of Music. The site title answers the question, “what is classical guitar?” Sharing high quality pro videos and content help my students absorb the culture, musical ideas, repertoire, and technique. I also provide lessons to help them learn and sheet music with fingerings they can trust. By following the site you can become my student as well.
Where do I start?
- Join the email newsletter – It’s free. This is how you’ll receive inspirational classical guitar videos, pro performances, lessons, sheet music, and more. It’s a way to stay connected to classical guitar and get a weekly dose of quality classical guitar culture.
The site has five main areas of focus
How do I learn to play classical guitar?
Although I still recommend having an in-person teacher, you can start your learning experience using the lesson page. See the curriculum below but also explore new topics from the lesson page to start to absorbing the ideas slowly over time. For a full learning experience see: How to Use my Educational Series of books.
Do you have a curriculum to follow?
Yes, below is the progression of educational materials on the site in order of study. All the lessons on the site are free and my first method is also a free PDF. Make sure you also visit the lesson page to learn to hold your guitar and properly position your hands and fingers. Each of these books represent a full course of study so take your time. My methods only cost around ten dollars but represent at least a year of work so I think that’s a great value compared to paywall sites.
- Classical Guitar Method Book Vol. 1 – Free 100 page PDF method with 20+ free video lessons for beginners. The focus in book is on reading music and playing melodies and arpeggios which are two elements that will be essential to your development.
- Classical Guitar Method Book Vol. 2 – This book includes solos, duets, chords songs, 15+ free video lessons. The main focus is on reading in different keys but also introducing new music, half barres, rhythm, and some upper position playing as well.
- Classical Guitar Technique: Essential exercises, scales, arpeggios, and practice routines for various levels. Study this anytime after my Volume 2 Method as you continue with below repertoire books. Practice technique for a little while at the beginning of your practice sessions and then move on to my repertoire lessons.
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 1 – Eight pieces at the grade one level with a few pages of dedicated lessons preparing you for each piece. This is a natural and enjoyable way to increase your level while slowly adding new skills into the mix in a natural way.
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 2
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 3
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 4
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 5
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 6
- Ten Classical Etudes – Ten progressive etudes from the classical era with video lessons. Grade 4-7.
Plenty more to explore
The site is filled with plenty more to explore from reviews, gear, community lists, and more. Just have fun exploring.
Watch Random Videos
You can watch random videos on my Youtube channel anytime. For example, this famous work by Tarrega, Gran Vals.