The site has over 1500 posts, where do I start?
- Join the email newsletter – This is how you’ll receive inspirational classical guitar videos, performances, lessons, sheet music, and more right to your email inbox. It’s a way to stay connected to classical guitar and get a weekly dose of helpful tips and inspirational classical guitar culture. It’s free.
The Site Has Three Main Areas of Focus
The site title literally answers the question, “what is classical guitar?” I originally created this website for my students (on tumblr). Sharing daily guitar content helps my students absorb the culture, musical ideas, and technique. I also posted free lessons to help supplement my students lessons. I’ve expanded the site to include sheet music as well but I still only post high quality content that will benefit my students.
How do I learn to play classical guitar?
Although I still highly recommend having an in-person teacher, you can supplement your learning experience using the lesson page. Pick a new topic every day from the lesson page and you’ll start to absorb the ideas. Even pick lessons that are above your level as you’ll learn new things and pick up on the technique through gradual viewing.
Do you have a curriculum to follow so I can learn?
Yes, here is the progression of educational materials on the site in order of study. Make sure you visit the lesson page to learn to hold your guitar and properly position your hands and fingers. There are over 100 lessons to reference whenever you need them. Each of these books represent a full course of study so take your time.
- Classical Guitar Method Book Vol. 1 – Free 100 page PDF method with 20+ video lessons for beginners. Focus is on reading music and playing melodies and arpeggios.
- Classical Guitar Method Book Vol. 2 – Solos, duets, chords songs, 15+ video lessons. The main focus is on reading in different keys but also introducing slurs, half barres, rhythm, and some upper positions.
- Classical Guitar Technique: Essential exercises, scales, and arpeggios. Study this anytime after my Volume 2 Method as you continue with below repertoire.
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 1 – Eight pieces at the grade one level with dedicated lessons preparing you for each piece.
- Classical Guitar Repertoire Lessons Grade 2
- Ten Classical Etudes – Ten progressive etudes from the classical era with video lessons. Grade 4-7.
Plenty more to explore
The site is filled with plenty more to explore from reviews, gear, community lists, and more. Just have fun exploring.