Q&A Lesson: Rest Stroke (Apoyando) and Free Stroke (Tirando) on Classical Guitar: Thanks to all my Patreon supporters who submitted questions. You can visit my Support Page if you enjoy these and want to help out. Here’s the YouTube link if you want to watch the video there.
My main advice is to include both rest and free strokes in your technique routine so that the skill and technique is available to you to use or experiment with during repertoire. There is so much debate about when to use rest or free stroke but the the debate itself doesn’t interest me much, I’m more concerned about students having the technique at their disposal for use either right now or down the road.
Times & Questions
- 00:00 – Intro & Advice
- 2:01 – Position and movement for rest & free Stroke
- 7:51 – When to use rest stroke, forte playing, indications
- 13:48 – Sagreras, arpeggio rest stroke, melody accents
- 16:14 – Rest stroke with the thumb, exercises
- 19:40 – Single finger repeated rest stroke, tone
- 21:57 – Playing without nails and end results
- 25:50 – Are nails necessary?