Review: Cordoba C9 Parlor Classical Guitar
Cordoba ‘Luthier Series’ Line of Guitars
Solid Canadian cedar top, solid mahogany back & sides
Indian rosewood binding / Indian rosewood bridge
7/8 body size, 50mm nut width
mother-of-pearl weave rosette
630 mm scale length
Price range from $850-$1200 USD
Video Review Link & Source: https://youtu.be/AOSiKdEmmxQ
Bradford’s Opinion at a Glance
- Above average volume from what I expected
- Better than average tone for a mid-range factory guitar. I’d be curious if the C10 Parlor with Indian Rosewood is better though.
- Love the small body size but it is indeed small, I’m short so I like it
- The nut/string spacing is also small (think crossover guitars) but good for me but I have small hands. As a classical guitarist I would have liked a slightly larger profile neck but then again it’s great to have the option of going this small and I didn’t play anything where it interfered or cramped me, in fact, it just made it easier. Purist classical guitarists might not dig it but I do. Main point: it’s smaller than what luthiers generally call small-scale guitars (mostly in terms of body size and neck profile).
- If you think you need a small guitar this will really make a difference
- You can’t compare it to luthier made guitars in the +$6000 range but for the price I’m impressed and would happily recommend it to my smaller sized students or those looking for a smaller guitar.
Cordoba’s Promotional Blurb:
The Cordoba C9 Parlor is ideal for the player looking for the feel, comfort, and ease of playability that a smaller instrument provides, while retaining the sweet, warm tone created by all-solid wood construction. Built with a solid Canadian cedar top with solid mahogany back and sides, the C9 Parlor features a 7/8 body size, 50mm nut width, and the fan bracing pattern found on most Cordoba guitars. This bracing pattern gives the center of the soundboard more surface area to vibrate and respond to the tension of the strings. A more responsive soundboard makes the guitar louder, and provides better tone.
Like every guitar in the Luthier series, the C9 Parlor is built with Spanish heel construction, where the top of the guitar is attached to the neck, the sides are added next, and the guitar’s body is sealed by the installation of the back. This construction technique allows the entire instrument to vibrate as one unified piece.
Aesthetic touches like the mother-of-pearl weave rosette inspired by a 1920’s Domingo Esteso guitar add a touch of vintage elegance to this best-seller. Other premium features include a rosewood fingerboard, rosewood bridge, high gloss finish, and Savarez Cristal Corum strings. The C9 Parlor includes Cordoba’s lightweight polyfoam case.
*With the introduction of the C10 Parlor, Cordoba decided to rename the model previously titled “C9 Dolce” to “C9 Parlor.” We felt the word “Parlor” was a better, more universal descriptor of a small body instrument. No features of the guitar were changed aside from the name.
Specs via the Cordoba Website
- Top Solid Canadian cedar
- Back & Sides Solid mahogany
- Binding/Bridge Indian rosewood binding / Indian rosewood bridge
- Purfling/Inlay 6 ply colored wood top purfling, 3 ply maple and ebony back and side purfling
- Rosette Pearloid and ebony “Esteso” weave
- Finish High Gloss PU
- Neck/Fingerboard Mahogany neck / Rosewood fingerboard / Traditional (Classical) Style Neck
- Truss Rod Two-way adjustable, 4mm
- Scale Length 630mm (24.8″)
- Nut Width 50mm (1.96″)
- String Spacing at Saddle 57mm
- Fret Marker Inlays Pearloid at 5, 7, 9
- Nut/Saddle Bone
- Number of Frets 12 to body, 19 total
- Bracing/Build Fan Bracing
- Body Width & Length 271mm (10.6″) at upper bout / 365mm (14.4″) at lower bout
- Overall Length 38″
- Body Depth 92mm (3.6″) at upper bout / 94mm (3.7″) at lower bout
- Tuning Machines Cordoba Premium Gold Tuning Machines
- Tap Plate/Pick Guard NA
- Case Cordoba Polyfoam Case
My Cordoba Guitar Reviews So Far:
- Cordoba C12 Classical Guitar
- Cordoba C10 Classical Guitar
- Cordoba C10 Parlor Classical Guitar
- Cordoba C9 Parlor Classical Guitar
- Cordoba C5 Classical Guitar