This routine is from my new book Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios. The 122 page book includes: Practice Routines, Tips, 100 Open String Exercises, 120 Giuliani Arpeggios, Scales, Slur Exercises, Shifts, Finger Independence, Barre, Tremolo, Common Harmonics, and much more. YouTube Video Link (4k)
This is Part 4 of a 6 Part Lesson Series on technique routines. This is for intermediate, so around grade 5-7 RCM or equivalent. View all the free routine videos at the book page. You can use other books if you want but make sure to keep it balanced as I discuss. Also, grab some sticky tabs and mark the pages in my book so you can easily flip through. The levels to covered in the 6 part series are: Beginner; Late-Beginner; Early-Intermediate; Intermediate; Late-Intermediate; Early-Advanced.
Time Management Problems? Too much material? Remember to stay focused on the core elements of Scales, Arpeggios, Slurs, Barre, and stretch/finger independence. If you can get a little of each in every practice session then you are doing well. For the open string exercises, first go through all of them and make sure you can play each one at a reasonable speed. Check them off as you go. Once you’ve covered them all, focus on a select few that give you trouble. After that you can probably just play the Giuliani Arpeggios to save time. Pretty much the same advice for all the sections, go through everything, focus on your weaknesses and make them your strengths.
- Length: Approximately 20-25 Minutes
- Open String Exercises No. 1-97
- Giuliani Arpeggios No. 1-17
- Giuliani Arpeggios No. 25-35
- Giuliani Arpeggios No. 81-100 •
- Alignment Exercises (pages 54-57)
- Chromatic Scales (pages 58-60)
- Shift Exercises (pages 70-71)
- Movable Scales – Two Octaves Only (pages 72-73)
- Triadic Arpeggios (page 77)
- Slurs (pages 83-86)
- Finger Independence (pages 93-98)
- Stretch (page 100)
- Scales in 3rds – C and G Major (page 102)
- Scales in 6ths – C and D Major (page 103)
- E Chromatic Scale in Octaves (page 104)
- Barre (pages 106-108)
- Tremolo (pages 109-110)
- Basic Rasgueado on Open Strings (pages 114-115)
- Natural Harmonics (pages 116-117)
I just received your book,. I must say it covers everything I need to practice on. Thanks for all the lessons that go with the book on your web page, it has been a big help.
I’m so glad I found your site. Thank you for all this awesome information.
I’ve been playing for years, writing my own pieces (contemporary, folk, instrumental type songs) but poor technique has lead to a lot of disappointment. Your videos are hugely helpful in helping me practice more effectively.
I’m excited to buy your book.
Thank you Bradford for your help!
This book helps you step it up at all levels, and along with the videos it really help with the details.
I’ve tried many books, and this one is the by far the best!
Thanks so much Tony!