This routine is from my new book Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, and Arpeggios. The 122 page book includes: Practice Routines, Tips, 100 Open String Exercises, 120 Giuliani Arpeggios, Scales, Slur Exercises, Shifts, Finger Independence, Barre, Tremolo, Common Harmonics, and much more. YouTube Video Link (4k)
This is Part 5 of a 6 Part Lesson Series on technique routines. This is for late-intermediate, so around grade 8-9 RCM or equivalent. You can use other books if you want but make sure to keep it balanced as I discuss. Also, grab some sticky tabs and mark the pages in my book so you can easily flip through. The levels covered in the 6 part series are: Beginner; Late-Beginner; Early-Intermediate; Intermediate; Late-Intermediate; Early-Advanced.
Time Management Problems? Too much material? Remember to stay focused on the core elements of Scales, Arpeggios, Slurs, Barre, and stretch/finger independence. Practice a little of each in every practice session. For the open string exercises, first go through all of them and make sure you can play each one at a reasonable speed. Check them off as you go. Once you’ve covered them all, focus on a select few that give you trouble. After that just play the Giuliani Arpeggios to save time. Pretty much the same advice for all the sections, go through everything, focus on your weaknesses and make them your strengths.
Length: Approximately 20-30 Minutes
The number of exercises far exceeds the length of time so make a list of personal priorities. Giuliani arpeggios can take priority over open string exercises. Natural harmonics need not be covered daily.
- Open String Exercises No. 1-100
- Giuliani Arpeggios – Cycle through No. 1-110
- Chromatic Scales (pages 58-60)
- Movable Scales (pages 72-73)
- Open String Shift Scales – Two Octaves Only (pages 75-76)
- Triadic Arpeggios – C and G Major, A and E Minor (pages 77-78)
- Slurs and Slur Scales (pages 88-91)
- Finger Independence (pages 93-99)
- Stretch (page 100)
- Scales in 3rds (page 102)
- Scales in 6ths (page 103)
- Scales in Octaves – Chromatic, , E and F Major (page 104)
- Scales in 10ths – C, G, and D Major (page 105)
- Barre (pages 106-108)
- Tremolo (pages 109-113)
- Basic Rasgueado on Open Strings (pages 114-115)
- Natural Harmonics (pages 116-117)
- Left Hand Relaxation and Muting (page 120)