Left Hand Preparation (or Planting) Lesson. The main benefits of preparation in your left hand technique are: accuracy, speed, security, and efficiency. Another great term for efficiency is economy of motion (using small smooth motions). It’s a great way to practice your repertoire. It’s also a way to work on your left hand technique rather than just playing something over and over.
Times & Topics
- 0:00 – Intro, Definition, and Reasoning
- 1:45 – Why Prepare the Fingers?
- 2:36 – Accuracy and Security
- 3:28 – Example Practice (Sanz)
- 7:49 – Preparation Tapping Exercise
You can see more lesson videos at the lesson archive page. You can help out the site and these free lessons by visiting the support page. If you’re looking for a technique book, try out one of my two books:
- Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, & Arpeggios – 122 pages. Hundreds of exercises. Video lessons for everything. Sheet music only.
- 20 Favorite Exercises, Grade 1-6. All of these exercises are in my larger book above but this one has sheet Music with tab. Great for crossover or a boost.
Here’s the video link on my YouTube Channel if you want to watch it there.