Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant – The Classical Guitarist’s Technique Handbook. Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant has become one of the most popular technique books for classical and fingerstyle guitarists alike. It has great physical workouts to train muscles and gain finger independence and dexterity. It’s a very popular book due to how memorable the exercises are, which in turn, are great for warm-ups and technique correction. That said, it’s more of a reference exercise book rather than a comprehensive technique method so it’s best suited to intermediate to late-intermediate guitarists or those looking for a set of warm-up exercises to conquer. However, beginners could start with some of the independence and alignment exercises. Overall, even if you own other books you probably will want to get a copy of this to see what all the hype is about. Personally, the best thing about it is that it’s not overly comprehensive, it’s just a solid set of material that everyone needs.
Buy Pumping Nylon via Amazon
Check out some Pumping Nylon video lessons
- Lesson: Left Hand Finger Independence
- Lesson: Odair’s Favorite Drill for Guitar (from Pumping Nylon)
- Lesson: The Spider – Left Hand Exercise
You might also consider my technique books
- Classical Guitar Technique: Essential Exercises, Scales, & Arpeggios – 122 pages, Video lessons. Start anytime after Vol.2 method and continue with repertoire lessons.
- 20 Favorite Exercises, Notation + TAB, Video lessons, Gr.1-6, Great for crossover or a quick boost.
- Major Scales for Classical Guitar – Beginner to Intermediate, Notation + TAB
- Ten Classical Etudes, Gr.4-7, videos lessons, Notation & Notation + TAB