Q&A Lesson: Slurs (Hammer-ons, Pull-offs) on Classical Guitar. Thanks to all my Patreon supporters who submitted questions. You can visit my Support Page if you enjoy these and want to help out. Here’s the YouTube link if you want to watch the video there.
If you are looking for organized slur exercises you might check out my full technique book with slurs exercises from beginner to advanced levels.
For more generalized slur lessons and slur exercises check out my full lesson post on slurs here.
Question & Answer Times
- 0:00 – Intro & Context on Slurs
- 2:32 – Practicing Slurs
- 3:17 – Three Ways to Play Pull-offs (Descending Slurs)
- 4:49 – Other Pros and Cons of Slurs
- 8:00 – Balancing the Sound/Accents of Slurs
- 13:10 – Clearing the Adjacent String During Pull-offs (Brouwer XI)
- 17:13 – Notational: Slurs vs Glissandos (Mertz)
- 20:04 – Final Advice and Conclusion
Hi Bradford. Thanks for this discussion. I have your technique book (excellent and comprehensive; well worth it!) where this is covered, but good to see techniques demonstrated especially in the context of the musical examples.
I’m more a beginner. That said, my techer told be to imagine a circular move of the pulloff finger and yes, somehow that helps (me).