A lesson on the benefits of a well-rounded technique routine in music practice and classical guitar. The benefits of a well-rounded technique are wide ranging and essential to making progress on the classical guitar or any instrument. The main points here are that technique routines prepare you for any repertoire you encounter. If your routine is well-rounded you’ll be prepared for anything, anytime. Also, different techniques and exercises complement and benefit each other in ways that can be difficult for students to see.
There are techniques that need to be maintained but they also benefit auxiliary techniques. For example, to improve your tremolo you might need to first improve your scale and arpeggio work. It’s all interconnected and builds control, relaxation, and dexterity into your hands. Therefore, ignoring one technique might inhibit you from accomplishing another technique.
My Technique Book with routines and exercises for every level as mentioned in the video.
Topics & Times
- 00:00 – Intro & Outline
- 1:12 – Prepares You for Repertoire
- 2:28 – Different Techniques Complement Each Other
- 3:47 – Maintenance vs Improvement
- 4:45 – Helps with Guitar Position and Hands Positions
- 5:59 – Example of Early-Intermediate Technique Routine
- 9:43 – Examples of Complementary Technique Overlap
- 14:30 – Concluding Advice