John Dowland (1563-1626) for Classical Guitar – PDF sheet music or tab arranged for classical guitar with free videos and lessons. Include both notation-only editions and tab editions. John Dowland was an English Renaissance composer, lutenist, and singer. He is best known today for his melancholy songs and lute compositions. As one of the main Elizabethan composers we are lucky that his music transfers so easily to the classical guitar. I’d recommend tuning to relative lute tuning (3rd string to F sharp) which allows us to play the music in the way it was intended which usually results in a more playable edition. Also the use a capo nicely raises the pitch to lighten the sound and equalizes the sound as all the notes will sound fretted which gives off a nice quality..
Sheet Music and Video Lessons – All PDF sheet music includes both a notation-only edition and a TAB edition. These are all originally lute works arranged for classical guitar.
- Fortune, My Foe by Dowland, Grade 6
- The Frog Galliard by Dowland, Grade 7-8
- Melancholy Galliard by Dowland, Grade 8
- Mr. Dowland’s Midnight by Dowland, Grade 4
- Mrs. Winters Jump by Dowland, Grade 4, Free Sheet Music
- Orlando Sleepeth by Dowland, Grade 4
- Tarleton’s Resurrection, Grade 6
- The Round Battle Galliard, Grade 7
Examples of John Dowland played on Classical Guitar