Free and premium sheet music by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) for classical guitar. Although Bach never specifically wrote for the classical guitar there is plenty of evidence that he regularly interacted with lute players including Sylvius Leopold Weiss. The ‘Lute Suites’ most likely written on a Lute-Harpsichord hybrid nevertheless exist in period lute tablature and it is well documented that Bach regularly rearranged his music for various instruments.
Free and Premium Editions from this site:
- Bach: Air ‘On the G String’ for Easy Guitar, Gr.4, Notes & TAB
- Bach: Bouree from BWV 996, Gr. 6, Baroque, Free Notation or TAB
- Bach (Petzold): Minuet in G, Anh. 114, Gr.4, Baroque, Notation or TAB
- Bach: Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring, Gr.4, TAB or Free Notation PDF
- Bach: Prelude in D minor, BWV 999, Gr.7, TAB or Free Notation PDF
- Bach: Prelude from Cello Suite BWV 1007, Gr.7, TAB or Free Notation PDF
Recommended Editions from Others (Amazon)
- Bach Sonatas and Partitas by Koonce – Coming soon
- Bach Lute Suites Edited by Koonce – Great edition and fingering, reference facsimiles at end, good text info too.
- Bach Cello Suite No.1 BWV1007 (Koonce)
- Bach Lute Suites Edited by Zigante
- 6 Sonatas And Partitas For Violin Bwv1001-1006 Arranged For Guitar by Tadashi Sasaki
- 3 Sonatas for Guitar Solo: from Sonata for Violin, BWV 1001, 1003 and 1005 by Manuel Barrueco
- Bach Cello Suites Arranged for Guitar by Stanley Yates – Some very good, some less.
- Classical Guitar of Bach with TAB – You TAB junkie you!
Keep in mind that:
- BWV 995 – Suite in G minor is a transcription of Cello Suite No. 5, BWV 1011
- BWV 1000 – Fugue in G minor is a transcription from Violin Sonata No. 1, BWV 1001
- BWV 1006a is a transcription from Partita No. 3 in E major BWV 1006 for solo violin
Free Lute Suites by Jean-François Delcamp – Copyright/Notes: Edited & Fingered and available for free from his site. Links to www.delcamp.net.
- Suite BWV 995
- Suite BWV 996
- Partita BWV 997
- Prélude, fugue et allegro BWV 998
- Prélude BWV 999
- Fugue BWV 1000
- Suite BWV 1006a
Free Lute Suites – Arr. Eythor Thorlaksson (Links to classicalguitarschool.net): Copyright/Notes: Edited & Fingered and available for free from his site.
- Prelude, Fuge and Allegro (BWV 998)
- Suite no. 1 (BWV 996)
- Suite no. 2 (BWV 997)
- Suite no. 3 (BWV 995)
- Suite no. 4 (BWV 1006a)
Free Hans Bruger: J.S. Bach: Compositionen für die Laute (1921) – Copyright/Notes: Public Domain. Beware of mistakes and old-school keys! I would not recommend this edition but could still be useful.