Classical Guitar Method – Volume I by Bradford Werner
Free PDF (100 pages) – for beginner classical or fingerstyle guitar
This book teaches classical and fingerstyle guitar skills with a focus on the rich pedagogical tradition of classical guitar. Most learning objectives are covered through pieces and duets allowing students to perform full pieces from the first lesson. A qualified teacher and the lesson videos should provide students with a healthy start. More information, theory, and exercises are learned in Volume Two. Also see my small youth supplement.
Hardcopy Print Editions Now Available
- Buy from my CreateSpace (best for the author) – $14.99 USD
- You can also buy it from Amazon.com or Amazon.ca
- Or: Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, and Amazon.es
Video Lessons for this Method
The videos are in the order of the book except for the duets which are grouped together.
- Posture and Sitting Position
- Right Hand Position
- Open String Pieces, Etude No. 1 & 2
- Left Hand Position
- First Left Hand Note: Moderato & A Fairy Tale
- More First Left Hand Notes & Five Melodies
- Etude No. 3 – Dynamics, Arpeggios w/ left hand notes
- First Duets: Welcome Natasha, Nocturne, Ode to Joy, Jazz Cat
- Twinkle Twinkle, Etude No. 4, Au clair de la lune, Oh Susanna
- Duets: Waltz by Czerny, Minuet by Wilton, Morning by Diabelli
- Melody with Bass Accompaniment: Etudes No. 5, 6, 7, 8
- C Major Scale, Eighth Notes, Etude No. 9, Vsi so venci Vejli
- Duets: Minuet by Hook, Flow Gently, Sweet Afton
- Etude No. 10, 11, and Little Birch Tree in the Field
- Duets: The Skye Boat Song, Capriccio by Logy
- Leyenda Theme by Albeniz, Chromatic Scale, & Greensleeves
- Tutu Maramba, Django Swing, Etude 12 à la Brouwer
- Duet: Minuet in G by Petzold, Minuet by Krieger
- Sor Study No. 1 Op. 60, Siciliano by Carcassi
- Übungen by Mertz, Etude No. 13 – Farewell
Visit the Lessons Page for more videos that compliment this book.
More books from this site:
- Classical Guitar Method – Volume 2 by Bradford Werner (Coming soon)
- 20 Favorite Exercises, Notation + TAB, Video lessons: $9.95
- Easy Pieces for Classical Guitar, Vol. 1, Notation & Notation + TAB, Videos
- Ten Classical Etudes, videos lessons, Notation & Notation + TAB
Other Recommend Books (via Amazon):
- Sight Reading for the Classical Guitar, Level I-III by Robert Benedict – Form, phrasing, dynamics, texture and how to sight read. Excellent book for a solid education in music. Beginner but also a good review for intermediates.
- Celebrate Theory (Preparatory level) – Graded theory and musicianship books from the RCM Toronto.
- The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique by Hubert Käppel. This book is like Pumping Nylon on steroids. 245 pages of exercises and excellent text advice, explanations, and tons of exercises. This is a huge contribution to the guitar world and I’m only just starting to dive deep into the ideas. Highly recommended.
- Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant (new 2nd edition) – Physical workouts to train those muscles and gain finger independence and dexterity. Very popular book and good memorable exercises for warm ups. It’s kind of the perfect size book for students to simply get to work. Highly recommended.
- Pumping Nylon in TAB by Scott Tennant – for you tab junkies out there.
- Iznaola on Practicing: A Manual for Students – A great but little book on how to practice well. Many students of guitar are not going to read a huge book so this concise little booklet is perfect for getting a grounding in good practice habits and philosophy.