Classical Guitar Method – Volume I by Bradford Werner
Free PDF Download (100 pages)
For beginner classical or fingerstyle guitar
This book teaches classical and fingerstyle guitar skills with a focus on the rich pedagogical tradition of classical guitar. Most learning objectives are covered through pieces and duets allowing students to perform full pieces from the first lesson. A qualified teacher and the lesson videos should provide students with a healthy start. Also see Volume Two for more theory, exercises, and reading skills. Help support the site, free music, and lessons.
Download the Free PDF (no sign up required)
Hardcopy Print Editions
Video Lessons for this Method
- Posture and Sitting Position
- Right Hand Position
- Open String Pieces, Etude No. 1 & 2
- Left Hand Position
- First Left Hand Note: Moderato & A Fairy Tale
- More First Left Hand Notes & Five Melodies
- Etude No. 3 – Dynamics, Arpeggios w/ left hand notes
- First Duets: Welcome Natasha, Nocturne, Ode to Joy, Jazz Cat
- Twinkle Twinkle, Etude No. 4, Au clair de la lune, Oh Susanna
- Staccato articulation for beginners (Prep for Waltz by Czerny)
- Duets: Waltz by Czerny, Minuet by Wilton, Morning by Diabelli
- Melody with Bass Accompaniment: Etudes No. 5, 6, 7, 8
- C Major Scale, Eighth Notes, Etude No. 9, Vsi so venci Vejli
- Duets: Minuet by Hook, Flow Gently, Sweet Afton
- Etude No. 10, 11, and Little Birch Tree in the Field
- Duets: The Skye Boat Song, Capriccio by Logy
- Leyenda Theme by Albeniz, Chromatic Scale, & Greensleeves
- Tutu Maramba, Django Swing, Etude 12 à la Brouwer
- Duet: Minuet in G by Petzold, Minuet by Krieger
- Sor Study No. 1 Op. 60, Siciliano by Carcassi
- Übungen by Mertz, Etude No. 13 – Farewell
More books from this site:
- Classical Guitar Method – Volume 2 by Bradford Werner
- 20 Favorite Exercises, Notation + TAB, Video lessons: $9.95
- Easy Pieces for Classical Guitar, Vol. 1, Notation & Notation + TAB, Videos
- Ten Classical Etudes, videos lessons, Notation & Notation + TAB
Other Recommend Books (via Amazon):
- Sight Reading for the Classical Guitar, Level I-III by Robert Benedict – Form, phrasing, dynamics, texture and how to sight read. Excellent book for a solid education in music. Beginner but also a good review for intermediates.
- Celebrate Theory (Preparatory level) – Graded theory and musicianship books from the RCM Toronto.
- The Bible of Classical Guitar Technique by Hubert Käppel. This book is like Pumping Nylon on steroids. 245 pages of exercises and excellent text advice, explanations, and tons of exercises. This is a huge contribution to the guitar world and I’m only just starting to dive deep into the ideas. Highly recommended.
- Pumping Nylon by Scott Tennant (new 2nd edition) – Physical workouts to train those muscles and gain finger independence and dexterity. Very popular book and good memorable exercises for warm ups. It’s kind of the perfect size book for students to simply get to work. Highly recommended.
- Pumping Nylon in TAB by Scott Tennant – for you tab junkies out there.
- Iznaola on Practicing: A Manual for Students – A great but little book on how to practice well. Many students of guitar are not going to read a huge book so this concise little booklet is perfect for getting a grounding in good practice habits and philosophy.
How much should I memorize the pieces and what should I keep in my repertoire? I would memorize a few pieces that you find easy to play so you can look at your hands carefully as you play them. That said, balance that with keeping your eyes on the music for other pieces so you learn to trust your hands and build sight reading skills. Near the end of the book I always have students memorize and perform well: Leyenda (melody in the bass) and Siciliano (Melody in the top voice) as a basic requirement before moving to the next book.